Skim milk powder, often known as dry milk or nonfat milk, has the same nutritional value as fresh milk but is more durable and less expensive. Are you curious about the uses of powdered milk? For ideas, keep reading.
Nutrition from Skim Milk Powder
Skim Milk Powder holds the same nutrition and goodness as that liquid milk. You must note that the milk is made available in powder form to increase its shelf life and make it versatile for multiple types of usage.
Skim milk powder holds the nutritional balances of Protein, Calcium, Vitamin A and Vitamin D. These nutrients in skim milk powder act greatly as a bone-building promoter. This is especially recommended for people with health conditions demanding extra protein.
Note that skim milk and milk produced from skim milk powder is not recommended for children under the age of two. It is because they don’t contain enough fat to support their healthy development. Offer homogenized (3.25% fat) milk to kids between 9 and 24 months.
Buying Skim Milk Powder
- In the grocery store, powdered milk is typically sold among other dry goods in the baking department rather than the dairy section.
- The best pricing can be found by comparing prices for store brands, name brands, and no-name products to those from bulk stores.
- Larger packages are frequently the best deal. Check the unit pricing on the shelf beneath the goods to be certain. You may see there how much the same amount of milk powder costs in various package sizes.
- If you live far from a grocery store or occasionally find it difficult to go shopping, have powdered milk on hand.
How to Store Skim Milk Powder?
- You can keep unopened items for up to a year in a cold, dry location like a cupboard.
- Powdered milk can be kept open for up to 3 months in the cupboard or 3 years in the freezer when kept in an airtight container.
- Once transformed into liquid milk, it can be stored for 3 months in the freezer or 5-7 days in the refrigerator.
Few Things that you can do with Skim Milk Powder
Pre-mix dry ingredients for baked goods that use milk.
This mix is great to have on hand to make a quick breakfast or snack.
- Pre-mix the dry ingredients for biscuits, pancakes, hot chocolate mix, waffles, muffins or loaves.
- Replace the fresh milk with the powdered milk equivalent. That’s usually 1/3 cup (75 mL) of powdered milk for every 1 cup (250 mL) of fresh milk. Remember to add the water to the wet ingredients when you are ready to bake.
- Label and store the mix in airtight containers for up to one month. They also make great gifts – just remember to include the full recipe.
Tip: Replace half of the all-purpose flour with whole-wheat flour for added nutrients when making a mix.
Cook with powdered milk.
Use powdered milk in any recipe where you would use fresh milk. Try:
- Macaroni and cheese
- Bread pudding and rice pudding
- French toast and quiche
- Homemade or canned low-sodium soups
- Oatmeal, cream of wheat, seven-grain hot cereal or muesli
- Scalloped or mashed potatoes
- Milk-based sauces or casseroles
Drink it as you wish!
- Combine one part of blended (reconstituted) powdered milk with one part of fresh 2% milk.
- Make milk the night before drinking so it is well chilled.
- Try adding vanilla extract to flavour the milk.
- Make chocolate milk or hot chocolate by adding cocoa powder.
Boost the nutrients in everyday foods.
Add a spoonful of powdered milk to recipes for extra protein, vitamins and minerals. Try it in:
- Pasta sauces or lasagna
- Vegetable soups or chowders
- Store-bought pancake mixes
- Mashed potatoes
Bring powdered milk on camping trips.
It’s ideal for camping vacations because powdered milk keeps for up to three months after opening. Always keep it in a cold, dry location in an airtight container.
Make the most out of Skim Milk Powder and trust us that it holds the same goodness as its liquid counterpart. The major objective of converting milk to powder form is to increase the shelf life and make its consumption more convenient for you. You will never be able to store liquid milk for long after you take it out from the pouch or tetra pack. But, you can use the skim milk powder as and when required, scoop by scoop. Enjoy our share of skim milk powder with tea, shakes or delicacies – you will love it in any form!